The great Indian appearing act

The welcome in to my office parking lot every morning would be very warm. As I park my car a familiar hand would wave from far “Good morning Madam”. Smiling at him and also acknowledging my good luck I would think “What a nice cleaner guy, every morning without fail greeting me inspite of me not availing his service”.

After several months I decided to employ him to clean our car. Needless to say he was elated to hear my decision. “Sure Madam, I will clean your car every day except weekends”. Happy that I finally had someone to clean it regularly unlike the previous one at home who appeared at his will, I agreed to the “no cleaning on weekend” condition. “Madam, I will start from Monday but I need advance”, was his next statement. It was like a thunderbolt for me, paying advance for something which had not even started. “Yes, people here leave jobs and go off without paying me so I have started taking full advance”. Wow! I thought this is planning, risk mitigation at it’s best. Wondered how many project managers parking their cars there analyzed so deeply even for their projects. I too agreed to give him the advance, being convinced by his rationale, but paid him only 90% of the agreed amount.

Imagine my state when the following days I never saw this guy for couple of weeks. The wiper would be in standing position announcing that the cleaning was done but not once I could spot this guy. Finally I had to send a word looking for him & asking him to clean from inside. This was also an agreed condition “Inside cleaning once in a week”. The friendly good morning was no where to be seen once his role changed from probable candidate to employee. Again after some days he started appearing again “Madam, balance”.

I have started believing that these characteristics are inherent in the Indian genre. When you see familiar promises being doled out by the politicians before elections one cannot but think “Are we really so stupid to believe all the promises”. But do we have a choice in electing some party that is intelligent? The next time around they will be back reminding me of the cleaner saying “Madam ,balance”, unless of course I take the responsibility of cleaning my car. So the big question is will we ever be ready to take responsibility for our country?

Comments

Naresh said…
thought provoking and funny, u goto write a novel some day.
Beautifully written.. But its not just with the politicians... We have corporates like AirTel and Vodafone who promise to give us good service and once we are in their clutches, they are mute to our cries.. :O
SWATZ said…
Waaooohhh.... so hard-hitting, to the point ans simple... we need to realsie that simple complaining about the system would elad us nowhere...we have to get up, stand for what we feel and then act on it tooo..!!! phew!!!

Great post.. :D
Utkarsha Kotian said…
Good 1!
Standing ovation!
I knew what was coming though...not like the other posts!
Sahi hain Abu!
El Furibundo said…
Crisp, well executed!

About cleaning your car: you really should consider giving it a wash yourself once a week. It's a lot of fun, you always know when some part is damaged in the car, and it's a great workout!

About the politicians... sigh. Yes, we need the youth machine of India to wake up and join each other.
Adisha said…
Well put together and an amazing point to be made !!

So finally are you cleaning the car now or is he ? :)

Cheers,
adisha
Sucha said…
Thanks to all for ur encouragement..

Naresh if & when I write a novel..u will get a complimentary one ;)

Well I shall consider cleaning the car sooon..but my hubby alrady says NO :)
CRD said…
A classic case of being taken for granted. Not just an Indian trait..its universal gal :P

Cheers
CRD
Huzaifa said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Huzaifa said…
Well all the politicians are the same..
Why all the politicians dress in Khaadi. Does that make them look more patriotic than want common man is. Recently film star turned politician; all this while was wearing designer clothes, has turned to Khaadi. Not against Khaadi (it looks good) but against hypocrisy.

Wondering if we would have a day when we can have faith / trust in our politicians and political system.
Jen said…
:-) what a thought!! and at just the right time ;-) ... ver well written Sucha...as always my dear..

hmmm...about politicians and politics..we have a long way to go and nothing is goin to change overnite..unless I AN AN INDIVIDUAL REALIZE...
Anonymous said…
I dont know if my earlier comment was saved or not so here it is again.

You write real neat!
I think we all need to do some soul searching and find out WHAT we believe in and HOW to stand for it. Simple!
This is something that every Indian faces in day to day life, how the sweetest of people turns into a mean creature, no one knows !
Very nicely written about the "ground reality"
:)
I have read this before in a an email forward but still its good.
Sucha said…
Angel from heaven!
E-mail forward?? Gosh dotn tell me ppl copy blogs and send it as forwards!
hehe nice stuff

and thanks for commenting on my blog

Popular posts from this blog

Take care!

It could have been me..

Open source or licensed?