The cozy comfort zone!

I had a colleague who was so used to the comfort of traveling in crowded trains and buses (pun intended) that he found the idea of a car drive unnerving! Such was his comfort level in the crammed modes of transportation that the idea of spending time all by himself in a less crowded car was totally unpalatable. Aah! The cozy comfort zone!!!

Set patterns of reactions (or inactions!) gets me thinking of the sense of security we derive by conforming to the same behavioural mould we have got ourselves in to. We as human beings simply love to recreate old stories again and again and refuse to think of creating a new history so very often.

For seven long years (yes in IT 7 years is long) I worked in a company because of the known work, good friends comfort of being “one” with the system. All along totally oblivious on how I was lagging in terms of monetary benefits or lagging on technology advancements It was not until I changed jobs (only because the company shut doors!) that I realized the huge ugly gap which was staring at me. I am not advocating leaving a job frequently but to get in to a cozy corner and not venture out will definitely get us to the situation of asking “Who the hell moved my cheese?”

There are comfort zones in most area of life: the escapist route from troubled situations, not working towards enhancing dormant relationships, dragging one to work for the comfort of a bank balance no matter the work no more inspires us. Ofcourse not forgetting the never to be returned messages, or missed calls to avoid all the people who confront us, the ignored chat messages to name a few “modern” comfort zones

To achieve better than the best we need to get out of our established patterns and adapt to new ones. To reach new heights we need to strengthen our wings. It needs the grit of a differently abled person who inspite of falling umpteen times huddles back in to his feet and makes it up in the race no matter what the past had done to him. Such behaviours just add fuel to a false sense of security which we cling on to like dear life. Escaping from our true potential is a huge speed breaker in our own progress as a human being.

Comments

scintilla said…
Very true...everybody lives life that way perhaps, in their own comfort zones.

This piece is not a story...its just an interesting thought to generate more ruminating minds.

Keep writing :)
man in painting said…
True.We become what we think.Thinking should never restrict us.Is 'becoming something'is necessary is a different question.ut in the 'real' sense life is about adaptations.But it is never the same as adjustments....
They are different.
Good post.
will keep visiting.
Thanx for the compliments..
Anonymous said…
Nice post and congratulations for moving ahead in life and new job.

However being an employer and founder of a software startup, I feel that settling in comfort zone isn't very common for IT people. Usually they like to make quick switches specially guys. I have found girls not switching jobs frequently as compared to boys.

Since mine is a startup, there is salary gap ofcourse when compared with bigger companies, however I take pride in working on cutting-edge technologies so I think technological gap does not exist for those working with our company. Hopefully I can make my company bigger in coming years and be able to shorten the salary gap as well :-)

Anyway congratulations once again and would like to know on what kind of technologies you are working and what do you like about it. For more info about my company you can visit the URL with my name on this comment.
Sucha said…
Thanks for ur comments!

Mr. Sachin..it has been 5 years since I left that job and after that I am in the 3rd job by chance or otherwise :)

Will definitely see your site
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that is not why ships are built... :-))

Popular posts from this blog

Take care!

It could have been me..

Open source or licensed?