What’s my Net worth?

A few days back I was looking at the data of HNI in India. For the uninitiated, HNI is High Net worth Individuals. Basically all the people who pay the highest Income tax in the country which directly means the elite cream class whose earnings per year can rob the day lights from any one of us! Like the very successful Mr. Rakesh Jhunjhunwala said “Money is the harsh reality of life. Some love it, some die for it, some use it well, some waste it, some fight over it, but most people only desire it!”

Somehow this word ‘Net worth’ set me thinking, what is my net worth? In terms of accounting after you remove all the liabilities /debts, whatever money you are left with is your net worth. So if I earn Rs. 5,00,000 per year and I need to pay a loan of Rs. 3,00,000 then my net worth is Rs. 2,00,000 ..As simple as that! How much is my life worth? Can I put a number to it?

While I do not have any impressive numbers to speak about, it took me in to an ‘Accounting’ mode. What would be my Net worth a few decades hence? Would I still remember the grudges, the back biting, and the negative vibes around me? Or would I just bask in the glory of the lovely memories created around genuine people? Of course it would be the latter, I assured myself. A great tip I got a friend of mine was “Whenever something bothers you, think whether it will have the same impact on you 20 years from now!” If you also adapt this ‘mantra’ I am sure all your worries will melt away like the fast melting icebergs  J

I would like to add to my Net worth all the compliments people handed over without mincing words, all the hugs family and friends gave without holding back, all the tearful smiles on hearing some real heartfelt progress of me, the loving and understanding looks by all the very few who can really sense me, the encouragement given in tough times and so on.

Also not to forget the hours I spent in taking care of my health / body. While it may not look like a tangible outcome at the face of it, I do value the effort I have put in gyms, in long walks, in my soul satisfying pranayams and elevating meditations. These are some assets we gather over life which has no ‘number value’ to it. No practice is ever a waste but a complete experience on its own. Like the philosopher Immanuel Kant observed, that human beings have a dignity not a ‘price value’ attached, because whatever has a price can be replaced by something equivalent. However human life has no equivalent. It is ‘priceless’ at the least.

While calculating the assets and liabilities of our life, it is better to leave liabilities like bitter experiences (not the lessons though!), negative emotions like anger, grudge, self pity to enhance the quality of life. Some people give us memories, some give experiences – both are important for our growth!

If at the end of our journey of life, if we are able to look back at it like a colourful rainbow filled with various hues of positive emotions; it would be a life that was lived worthwhile.

Comments

Gayatri K said…
True that! -- Shanti Karri 🙂
Radha Nagaraj said…
You have enriched so many lives including mine by being part of our journey. The hours you have volunteered to service has made the world a better place. The smiles you bring when people hear your name all add to your networth . In my eyes you are a billionaire queen of hearts.

Your sister by heart
Radha
Varsha said…
Thought provoking write up Sucha!
Sai Ram said…
If you really think hard and deep, you will know your true "Net Worth"☺️🌹🙏

Popular posts from this blog

Take care!

It could have been me..

Open source or licensed?