The sweetness of parting

It is a common scene in the various social or official circles. Someone is leaving your office, locality, home for better prospects (or otherwise!) and there is this sudden demand for that person. Words of praise flow in which have been absent for so many years of togetherness. Gifts are exchanged or given; contact addresses are exchanged (no matter the next moment it is not to be found) and invariably there is an unknown, unheard of sentiment which chokes many a throat and in some overflowing–with-emotion cases wets many a shoulder.

I always wonder where all these are hidden when the person is physically present in our life. Why do we mask our feelings or worse why display something which is not exactly what we feel? If it is the second case it is a total hypocritical display and less said the better but what really intrigues me is the first case.

Is it that we expect people to be always available at our beck and call and hence think they have a permanent availability for us? It is like the chair or sofa in our houses which is always available for you to sit once you enter the room. We never realize the importance of the same till it is not available one day or someone else is occupying it. I am not saying that we need to garland the seat but yes acknowledge and be thankful for it being available to you is something which we can do on a regular basis. We do not need to wait for it’s disappearance to know the importance. Ditto for the people in our lives J

It was not until I moved from Mumbai (still Bombay for me) that I realized the importance of a regular sweeper, maid, and person taking clothes for ironing (dhobi). I took their presence so much for granted and believed they would be there for eternity till I landed at Chennai. Of course the absence (or periodical presence) of all these facilities has made me more self reliant but I do think I could have shown more gratitude to my folks (when you are in a nuclear family these people really become “your folks”) back home.

When dear ones leave this world, there is a sea change of feeling than when they were alive. Sometimes it takes the death of a wife to make the husband realize the importance of a clean house and round-the-clock kitchen service. I wonder what is the point in holding yearly ceremonies or death anniversaries for the husband when there was no loving word spoken by the wife except “Food is ready” types of cold statements while he was alive. Many people argue that “true feeling is inside the heart” but can someone peek in to your heart and see your feeling. “It’s only words and words are all I have ...” goes the song and it is so true I think.

So I shall not wait for clogged networks to do us apart. I am telling each one of you reading this. I love and respect your presence in my life and the difference you have made to my being.

Comments

Unknown said…
The only thing that is constant is change.. And it is just human nature to get accustomed to stuff and then get rattled when its is taken away.. whether it things, people, emotions etc..

On moving, there are places where having assistive staff is prohibitively expensive.. People rely on themselves to get through whether it is cooking, ironing, laundry etc.. Assistance does indeed come at a price...

But when you shed your dependence on many of these things and resolve to remove material and emotional clutter, all that you have is yourself.. Then go figure what that "you" needs really....
Hope people realize the importance of 'EXPRESSING' feeling before its too late... Well written..!!
Sucha said…
Krisha..

Thanks for visiting this space and ur careful observations. I suppose we are looking at two different sides of change..I agree to your view point completely.

Loved your last statement..I am still striving to knwo what I really want..:) How true!

Pritam,

I am happy if I can realize and you too :) Thanks for being a regular feeback giver!
CRD said…
hey, what uve written is soooo true.

but its not always hypocrisy.

we really do take things around us fro granted.

like it goes in Savage Garden'ssong Affirmation "i believe we cant appreciate real love till we've been burned....i believe we dunno what we've got until we say goodbye"

good post
well..on this there is one saying i guess...
you dont miss the water untill its gone...
i think i agree with the hypocritical part of the people where praises and flattery arise.but i don think this percentage of people is high..
now to conclude ill say that i think we tend to get used to such behaviour any how,and we tend to be doin the same thing wen our boss or a co worker decides to leave or has to leave
well they say u don really miss water untill its gone..
this process of givin importance when scanty or leaving can be expanded to any part.
lets say electricity,
we have it we misuse it
moment power's not there we tend to become the misers with the back up.
with people it becomes flattery and praises!
hypocritical or not atleast those comments or praises makes the person whose leavin smile for a while!!1
This is something I can actually relate to.We always take our parents,friends,teachers[even our pets]] and everyone around for granted.We keep expecting them to stay with us and stand by ALWAYS.Just celebrate "Mother's day","Father's day","Friendship's day","Teacher's day" and MANY OTHER SO-CALLED DAYS doesn't help....

But when we understand their worth,it's too late perhaps!!

:)

Will try to express my gratitude to everyone around me who've helped me become what I'am!

Popular posts from this blog

Take care!

It could have been me..

Open source or licensed?